New Planning Thoughts draft.

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 06:02:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Available at a wiki near you:
>
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Plan_of_Record-2008/Draft_2

Making quick progresses, yay!

A couple of thoughts about the release process:

* Reducing the scope of the releases is a reasonable solution to deal
with lack of QA resources. But I think on the medium term we need to
scale. The developer community will contribute in direction which we
don't anticipate. We cannot and should not force community focus on a
limited number of aspects. We should instead aim to leverage the
community also in the QA process, which is a big strength of open
source development.

* Smaller-and-faster (focused) releases are an interesting idea but I
think they are also quite a challenge. We need to ensure that we are
able to parallelize the various streams. For example, if we do a
release which focuses on networking, someone will keep working on UI
and performance at the same time. How do we avoid clashes? Having
multiple streams going on concurrently certainly complicate the
development process. I don't have previous experience of this kind of
development. We can try to go through it and try to anticipate how it
would work in practice. Or even better maybe someone have experience
that can be shared here.

Marco