fun and games with trying to un-suspend

Ixo X oxI ixo at myna.ws
Wed Apr 16 00:00:15 EDT 2008

"I too" since before joyride 1850 (sorry, I don't know exactly when it
started.)   I have no SD card in slot.

I frequently travel with my XO around town during my various meetings and
volunteer activities.  Great little device for taking quick notes at the
table. :-)

Take it to one meeting, take notes in Write... when done... close the lid.
Off to the next meeting, open lid... light above camera blinks on/off. I
push around on the touchpad to active... light blinks again.... screen
appears for a split second, then goes dark.  I push a few keys, the light
blinks evertime I hit a key.. but screen doesn't come back.  I've figured
out by trial and error, holding down the power button for 5 seconds...
release..  and it comes back.  However, if much longer than that.... shuts
down completely the power.

Unfortunately, two of the meeting notes/minutes I have taken are *poof*.  I
opened them up a few days later, and only a few words in the Journal saved
session. :-/  I never clicked on 'Kept', and had assumed that the Journal
would save the latest version.  I suspect that the suspend feature either
corrupted the document during going into suspend mode.. or later on.. after
a joyride update... the document was corrupted.

I have a backup [1] of the /home/olpc files shortly before one of the
meetings, and still trying to hunt down possible fragments.  But I believe
the other one is gone for good. :-/ Got to be more careful in the future.  I
think frequently clicking on 'Kept' may minimize the possible corruption...
Along with clicking on (and completion) of 'Kept' a few minutes before
closing the lid... may help too. (I typically close the lid while Write is
open, maybe returning to 'home' before suspend will also help?)

:-/ Sadly reminded that 'joyride' is actually a beta product.
--Ixo

[1] My handy dandy 'xo-backup-server', from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Ixo/Script