Usability testing

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sun Apr 13 22:44:02 EDT 2008

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Patrick Dubroy wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
> <gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:
>> Hi Tomeuz et al,
>>
>>  I have done a few usability tests and they are a lot of work and not
>>  easy to turn in to code later.
>
> Many people seem to believe this myth that usability tests are too
> much work. But as Jakob Nielsen says:
>
> "Some people think that usability is very costly and complex and that
> user tests should be reserved for the rare web design project with a
> huge budget and a lavish time schedule. Not true. Elaborate usability
> tests are a waste of resources. The best results come from testing no
> more than 5 users and running as many small tests as you can afford."
>
> (The whole article is worth a read. "Why You Only Need to Test With 5
> Users": http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html)

true, but remember that as users are exposed to the product they stop
beign as good test subjects to represent newbes (those who remember
heathkit remember how good their instructions were, they couldn't use a
person for more then a handful of times before that person stoped being
baluble as a beginning level tester)

David Lang