Making Plans

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sun Apr 13 12:11:44 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
>  Thanks very much for stepping up with such good questions. I'm sorry
>  that I haven't got more in the way of answers, but here's what I've
>  got:
>
>  On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:18:33PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>  > What is the process we are going to use to decide what should people
>  > be working on?
>
>  In a recent email entitled "Notes from a Planning Session" [1], I
>  wrote that we are soliciting feedback in order to publish a written
>  statement of what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and why we want
>  to do it.
>
>   [1]: http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-April/012659.html

In that wiki page is currently an edited transcript of an IRC
conversation. Do you have already any kind of document with more
explicit goals?

>  In more detail: Chris, Scott, and I are formulating a release strategy
>  for the next 8 or so months with detailed information about what we
>  hope to release in 4 months. It remains to be seen how the strategy
>  proposed by the Tech Team will be received by the sales team, the
>  deployment team, and by other interested parties; however, I am fairly
>  confident that, when presented, it will:
>
>   * represent the diversity of views within the tech _team_ about the
>    risks and opportunities afforded by the recognized paths forward,
>
>   * state and justify one primary path that we intend to take, and
>
>   * explain our fallback plan if we encounter unsurmountable roadblocks
>    along our chosen path.

Seems good to me.

>  In its final form, it will also explain what feedback we have received
>  from sales & deployment. In its draft form, it will propose a
>  reasonable deadline for revisions based on new feedback from those
>  teams.

In which way will be written this draft? How do you plan to circulate
the draft before presenting it to sales and deployment?

>  It is my firmly held belief that the availability of such a document,
>  signed by the relevant team members, would represent a major step
>  forward in our ability to explain what we're doing, who we're doing it
>  with, and why.

Agreed.

>  Is this a satisfying answer to your question?

Is an answer that makes me happy, but I still want to get more insight
about how this process will happen, before considering myself
satisfied ;)

Thanks,

Tomeu