networking scenarios

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Fri Apr 11 22:49:12 EDT 2008

Hello Dafydd and all...

_*Question:*_
I think that you mean that the "school server" has "internet access".
Is it possible to have a "school server" without "internet access" ? (just to do... what? bigger "collaboration" between the XOs? software repository? documents & books repository?.  Many scenarios are possible.

So I think you can add to the fourth scenarios: "Internet access" or "No internet access" and what kind: ADSL, phone line, Satelital, or other ways.

_*Idea:
*_Add to your scenarios:

"Kind of energy available for the XOs:"

Then we will face the "forgotten" problem: the humble towns, the ones that are over the
3,500 meters altitude, the ones that are in the "worst" scenarios... they don't have any
kind of electricity.  So the "cranck", the "solar panels", air or human generated energy
is part of the equation IF we are going to reach those "worst scenarios".

Helping first the ones that will survive? That is for first aid in disasters. In this
case we must try to help the "forgotten" worst scenarios and I hope that MOST of the
XOs that come to Peru will go to the poorest towns.

_*Comment:*_
You say: "...
 - school WiFi
   - access points
   - school server with Jabber server
     - only one server at a time
   - this is what is deployed in Peru ...

... this is the situation most of our existing laptops are
deployed in, and it's likely that upcoming deployments will be similar."

I think that this scenario is good for a test, not as the intended "niche" were
the XOs must be deployed.  I think the XO computers in Peru
will get better use in the WORST scenarios.  A kid that lives in a town with a school that have
5 standard PCs with dialup Internet is in better condition that a kid that lives in a
town with a school with no PCs and no Internet.  Who need us more? The second one.  Who will
benefit more? The second one.

Yes, yes, yes.  It is harder to put the XOs in the WORST scenario. And maybe 20% of the kids
that are now 6 years old will not reach the 12 years old in those "forgotten villages" in my
country (Peru).  But... we must try.

_*Better scenario (for developing best help with poorest children):
*_There is no need to travel to the high andes to find the kids that need us more.
There are schools in the surroundings of Lima with "no light", "no tables", "no desks", "no chairs".
Every kid is sit down in a brick.  The teacher
uses the wall as board.  I don't know how many of this schools exists in Lima.
But for sure that they exist, dozens? Yes, no doubt.

Ah... the last earthquake gave us another opportunity: just 3 hours away
from Lima, in the coast, no mountains,
90% of the schools have been destroyed.  In this "Ica" region Children
are studying (if they are studying) in any kind of
temporal "school" ... in the worst conditions.  There must be more than
200 schools (all sizes) destroyed there.
Those kids deserve the opportunity to get a XO that can improve their
educational conditions? Yes. No doubt.

I hope that upcoming XO deployments will get not the poor children but
the POOREST children in Peru.

Let's keep moving.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez