Notes from a Planning Session

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Thu Apr 10 22:33:11 EDT 2008

I second Carol's pragmatic approach. What we should do is to use access
points in schools whenever possible. The mesh network was not designed to
compete with infra-structure. It was designed to be used when there is no
infra-structure.

That being said, I will keep repeating myself that non-infrastructure is the
default and will be the default scenario for years to come. So I believe we
want and we need to have a working mesh and the good news is: we have!

The "kids under the tree scenario" (i.e. the mesh) works and it works pretty
well. In my testbed with 10 XOs removed from any infra-structure, the XOs
can effectively collaborate. What we have are scalability issues that are
being addressed gradually. And application issues that will happen even in
infrastructure mode.

The fact that we can't have 50 XOs collaborating through the mesh now does
not mean we don't have a working mesh. And it is important for all the
involved people to realize that we will progress to have N laptops, but
there'll always be N+1.