how to let activities write to file without risking security

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Apr 10 03:24:21 EDT 2008

> At OLE Nepal we need to let our etoys image allow writing to disk,
> however under rainbow the image is executed under another user id.
> What's the way to give an/our activity permission to write to certain
> directories without just making them world writable, which is surely
> not the way to go.

Make them world writeable.

I don't know why the Nepal team wants to insist on ultimate super high
security all the time.  Security is not there to make your life
miserable.  In many cases it isn't there for any reason at all;
somebody did it for their own situation, which doesn't match your
situation.  If it gets in the way, turn it off!  That's why there is a
switch.

	John