"Chilling Effects" paper at USENIX

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:27:08 EDT 2008

Charles,

An attempt to answer some of your questions:

>  Could someone let me know if *all* the BitFrost implementation is opensource?

yes

> Long lived photograph/name/laptop pairing is made.

In current implementations, there is no photograph, so any discussion
of the implementation details is speculative.

>  Is it true that "calling home" for an XO does not include the local School Server?

It need not include the local School Server as currently implemented,
but "active kill" is not implemented (and may never be).

> Again, would someone in the code answer if all HTTP packets are signed?

I don't believe so.

> Didn't check to see if shipping version have a led on the camera.

The LEDs for the microphone and camera are on all mass production laptops.

-walter