"Chilling Effects" paper at USENIX

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Apr 9 04:43:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
> It would have been nice if the criticisms had been delivered directly to
>  OLPC, instead of broadcast in a public forum, where enemies of OLPC can
>  cite and expand on them as evidence that "OLPC is hopelessly screwed up,
>  so you should buy our competing product instead".  If you get my drift.

I would be very happy if this kind of criticisms were broadcast in a
public forum like the olpc-hosted mailing lists.

If people already involved in the project had to go hunting in the
blogs for criticism, no code would get written!

Is my opinion that one of the things that the project needs badly is
criticism. We are just doing too many new things for not being wrong
in some of them. But looks like people can be just "friends" or
"foes". Sad.

Tomeu