Build Debate: Followup on Build Naming

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Apr 8 13:16:00 EDT 2008

The right answer to the naming question depends on the meta-question of
"what will we be releasing".

Are we going to continue down the path of bundling the OS and the
activities into one giant release wad, or will we split out the separate
components (OS, sugar, core activities) and release them on separatel
schedules?

The "one giant wad" approach allows coordination between the components,
making it possible to do "flag day" changes.  But it also makes it
likely that releases will drag out indefinitely.

Ultimately, I think we will need to consider the components separately,
at least for some minor releases.  That being the case, the naming
scheme needs to identify the component.

OLPC-<Component>  <Generation>  <Ordinal>

<Component> is, e.g., OS or Sugar or Activities

<Generation> changes on "flag day" releases that make coordinated
changes across all components

<Ordinal> is 1,2,3,...  incrementing on every individual component
release, not coordinated across components.