Build Debate: Followup on Build Naming

Kent Loobey kent at uoregon.edu
Tue Apr 8 12:58:30 EDT 2008

Here is my two cents on this subject.

start-of-rant

I worked for over ten years on a project that shipped software to states for
localization and redistribution to their schools every fall.

The following was true all of those years.

The people that did the redistribution wanted a predictable schedule of when
the software would arrive so that they could plan their work accordingly.

The states did localization and training on each release so they needed to
know what was going to change ahead of time.

Bug fixes that fixed show stopping bugs were welcome at any time.

They REALLY REALLY did not want to get releases at arbitrary times.

They were much more interested in things working than in getting the lastest
wiz-bang feature.

end-of-rant

It seems to me that having two releases each year would allow a region to
select the ONE that ties into their new school year the best.  To avoid use
of any one calendar the ship dates could be on the solstices.