Build Debate: Followup on Build Naming

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 10:38:52 EDT 2008

Is Uruguay even using 703? Peru is. Mexico probably will... Mongolia
probably will...

While I like the discipline that is suggested by a date scheme, it
doesn't really add much real value over simply sequential numbering.
We certainly should avoid using seasonal names, as that will cause
hemispheric confusion.

As far as a feature-based scheme, that will just increase the pressure
to do an end-run around our renewed pledge to do time-based releases.

I'm in favor of Dennis's suggestion. OLPC-1; OLPC-2, ... It is simple
and, I argue, unambiguous. The hardware is XO-1, XO-2...

-walter