Build Debate: Followup on Build Naming

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Mon Apr 7 20:37:15 EDT 2008

cjb, cscott, and I just chatted about build names. We have absolutely no
problem announcing official-703 (when candidate-703 becomes official)
under whatever name seems good but we have no consensus about what that
name should be. cscott proposes '8.1' on the basis that it will be our
first 2008 release. mstone thought we should bake a month into the name
(perhaps 2008.04 or April-2008). Scott strongly preferred to avoid
baking a month designator into the name because, as best I understand,
he thinks we cannot afford to ship another release until we've made
'enough' improvement in at least one of our (approximately) four
networking scenarios.

Please correct and debate,

Michael