DBus - Sessionbus rights

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 12:02:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:43 -0400, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > I can't think of a reason to want a system process invoking methods on a
> > user process.
> Well, in my case, the system process is the only one having access to
> the network and provides network "connections" and events to all user
> processes. Sending signals to user processes is a bad choice (although
> this is what I'm doing right now), because it breaks the privacy between
> user processes.
>
> All is not lost. User processes do not necessarily have to allocate a
> well known name, as long as it is possible to export a method from a
> numeric bus address. Is this possible? Example?

No, this is part of the security profile.  Signals can be sent to
specific addresses though so as to not break privacy.  That I would ask
on the D-Bus list.  I can't remember what the syntax for that is in
python.   As for getting network connections user processes should be
able to do that.  If you are in need of secure ports I would strongly
recommend working with the core OLPC developers to make sure it isn't
bypassing the security framework.