DBus - Sessionbus rights

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Sun Apr 6 15:32:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 01:11:55AM -0400, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos wrote:
> The SystemBus is used for communication between processes that belong to
> different users. By default, /etc/dbus-1/system.conf says "...Deny
> everything then punch holes...". Why do we forbid the default user
> (olpc) by default from advertising processes under a "well known name"?

Simple inertia combined with the fact that the authors of most processes
running as uid 500 have considered their software to be "session"
software rather than "system" software. If you feel differently, please
consider suggesting a policy that you think is a better fit for our
dvision of responsibility. (Though take into account the fact that we
are presently trying to get Sugar and its dependencies running on
non-OLPC systems.)

> What's wrong with user processes making their presence known on SystemBus?

My suspicion is that it's an anti-spoofing measure, but that's merely a
guess. Have you considered asking on one of the dbus mailing lists?

Michael