Choosing "defaults" for the activity ring

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Apr 5 08:44:16 EDT 2008

Hi Eben,

On 5 Apr 2008, at 07:16, Eben Eliason wrote:

>> Another slightly different option for a 'fallback' mode – for when no
>> favourites have been set – could be simply to default the home view
>> to the
>> list mode when no favourite activities are set. It would also be
>> good if the
>
> I personally feel that the ring view will be both a friendlier
> interface, as well as a more welcoming one for kids just starting out.
> Additionally, I absolutlely want to make sure that the XO remains in
> the center up front, since this is the first thing a child will see
> when booting her laptop for the first time.
>
> Additionally, I anticipate that having both starred and unstarred
> activities to begin with may help make the favorites system easier to
> grasp.  Empty views are often confusing.

Yes, I agree about the ring view being potentially more welcoming –
this was just a fallback suggestion so that no one would ever be
presented with a blank home – some decision on default favourites
during updates/installs would be needed.

Talking of favourite defaults, why not have all activities initially
installed, or manually installed, appear as favourites by default. If
I went to browse and downloaded an .xo or .xo pack, I'd definitely
expect to see the home ring updated with the new downloads.

Regards,
Gary