[Server-devel] [OLPC Networking] RSSI value questions

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Fri Apr 4 22:18:06 EDT 2008

A guiding design principle for any XO activity is that it be designed
to work without a school server.  Learning doesn't stop at the school
gate!

The only thing special about an XS (or any access point) is that we can
know (absolutely) where it is.  Whatever system is designed should
allow arbitrary peers to declare that they know where they are (and
should handle the fact that some of them either lie or have a very hazy
idea of where they are...)  Perhaps an XS Active Antenna or Access Point
is simply an example of a certifiably trusted position beacon.

I still prefer the idea of using audio, a la Acoustic Measure by Ben or
a three-D, multiple device version:
http://web.media.mit.edu/~vmb/papers/AES05.pdf
(longer version at http://web.media.mit.edu/~vmb/papers/DaltonMS.pdf)
Research into less intrusive methods (using ambient noise, or sounds
generated by the systems while doing other tasks, as the
basis for obtaining the location information) is needed.

Cheers,
wad