update.1 "breaking" wrapped activities?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Apr 2 18:45:12 EDT 2008

> in a description of how non-sugar apps need some help to run
> properly under sugar, the current front page of OLPC News
> contains the following quote:
>
>     "...  there is some discussion that Update 1, a forthcoming
>     upgrade to Sugar, will break all existing wrappers, and
>     current Activities will need to be re-coded and re-wrapped."

I assumed that what's behind this is the introduction of rainbow.
[I'm not sure of the date of the transition to rainbow, but perhaps
G1G1 participants might be exposed to it when installing Update.1]

I myself have had to go into activityfactory.py and add the classes
of several Activities (to those rainbow skips), in order to be able
to launch these Activities from the Frame.

The explanation I received when asking was that these Activities
*stored* into locations to which the UID-renaming by rainbow denied
access.  Obviously, to be compatible with OLPC security, such
Activities would need to be re-coded to write to approved locations.

[I think "break all existing wrappers" is an exaggeration - but a
number of these mis-behaving activities *are* "imported" software.]

mikus

p.s.  It is amusing to observe that the XO will insert a "no name"
circular icon in the active-Activity-circle in Main view, when the
executing Activity starts a second task.  Perhaps users who first
encounter such a "no name" circle are thinking "something's broken".