Mini-conference schedule

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Apr 2 17:37:33 EDT 2008

Here's a proposed schedule:

Thursday (April 3)
12:30pm: Ben Schwartz, "Frameworks for collaboration"
 1:30pm: Richard Smith, "Suspend/Resume"
 2:30pm: Chris Ball, "Power Management"
 3:30pm: break
              Lightning talks:
 4:00pm  - Eben Eliason, "New Activity management design"
 4:30pm  - Eben Eliason, "Automatic transfer/update of activities"
 5:00pm  - unowned, "State of i18n" (Edward Cherlin made original
proposal; I'll summarize if no one volunteers)

Friday (April 4):
 12:30pm: C. Scott Ananian, "olpcfs"
   1:30pm: April Fool, "Build Process" (I'll restate proposal made on
devel@ if no one volunteers)
   2:30pm: Dafydd Harries, "Communications outlooks"
   3:30pm: break
                Lightning talks:
   4:00pm - Martin Langhoff, "State of the schoolserver"
   4:30pm - Eben Eliason: "Toolbars & (no) tabs"
   5:00pm - Michael Stone: "State of security"

I've tried my best to assign slots based on who I think will actually
be able to be physically present tomorrow and Friday; if I've guessed
wrong, let me know ASAP.  We can squeeze more talks in, especially
more "Lightning talks".  Additional proposed talks:
  - "Removable Activities" (Mikus Grinbergs) (related to datastore
work and activity management)
  - "Sugar Performance" (Tomeu Vizoso)
  - "Hand-key scrolling" (Tomeu Vizoso) (also, "magnifying class" and
"bulletin-board" keys)
  - (Better integration with legacy) "Desktop Applications" (Marco Gritti)
  - "Performance, Performance, Performance" (Mitch Bradley)

If anyone planning to be physically present wants to volunteer to
prepare a brief (say 5-10 bullet points) outline of "current status"
and "future directions" on these topics, we can schedule them in as
Lightning talks.  Alternatively, if the original proposers want to
lead the discussion via teleconference, we can do that, too -- we
should probably keep them in the "lightning talk" category because
teleconferences tend to be very difficult for people to follow.

For the 1-hour long talk categories, the goal should be ~25 minutes of
"presentation" and ~25 minutes of "discussion" (interleaved if you
like), with a 5 minute leg-stretch break between talks.  For the
lightning talks, let's aim at ~10 minutes of presentation, the same
~25 minutes of discussion, and 5 minutes of R&R.

Expect another update around midnight tonight with any changes needed
based on feedback I get; be sure to check that update to be sure you
don't miss your favorite talk (or your own)!
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )