XFree86-DGA

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Sep 26 12:04:01 EDT 2007

On 26/09/07 11:56 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Since low-level video seems to be the topic of the day...
>
> Isn't it rather important to support XFree86-DGA?
> Currently it is scheduled to be disabled on the XO.

No - system wide double buffering would not further increase
performance over the current 2D acceleration, and it would consume
(1200x900x2=2Mb) of memory that we could otherwise use for
offscreen memory.  Plus, I'm not sure how this would interface with
the shadow frambuffer mechanisms we use for RandR.

If an application needs to be double buffered - then it
can implement it iself with simple Xlib calls which are backed by
accelerated hooks.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse