FreeBe, Displaylink

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Sep 26 10:31:22 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 06:52 -0700, big one wrote:
> > No VGA/EGA/CGA.
>
> This is some sort of free VESA BIOS and the author said the source code can be ported to Linux platform:
>
> http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/freebe/

The Geode emulation system is "interesting", to say the least.

While technically possible to replace the closed source code we
eliminated, it would be a ***lot*** of work, mostly due to learning
curve and debugging time of working at that level of the Geode.  Given
that there are good emulators that run under X, this seems to be a poor
use of time, from where i sit (then again, some might accuse me of bias
about X ;-).

> Another option is virtual graphics card (VGC) from Displaylink. The actual chipset is located on remote display unit such as Samsung SyncMaster 940UX.
>
> http://www.displaylink.com
>
> Can the above product be used with public version of OLPC XO laptops?

Also seriously interesting is the following:
http://www.iodata.jp/prod/multimedia/ga/2007/usb-rgb/index.htm

I just found out about both of these recently.  There is an X driver for
them under development, it turns out.  No one at OLPC has tried them to
date.  Please feel free to do so, if you don't mind doing X development.

We'll probably seriously look at them, but not until after our first
deployments.  If someone wants to hack in the meanwhile, please do.  I
can even foot the bill to buy them for dedicated hackers.
                          - Jim

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child