Console Mode, DOS Emulator on OLPC

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Sep 26 08:07:35 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 13:23 +0200, guylhem at guylhem.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I also volunteer - I believe as well that a console mode + a standard
> X windows, as suggested by the first poster, could have advantages.

You seem to have missed Mitch's point: we don't have VGA or similar
emulation on our console (which uses fbdev): the code emulating such
hardware (which is how it would have to work on the Geode) was
encumbered, and we could not maintain it long term, so we dropped it
from our firmware.

So you need to go for the X based emulation; Sugarizing the existing X
based version is a small task.
                                - Jim

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child