Modification of Public OLPC Software

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Sep 25 02:46:56 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:19:01PM -0700, big one wrote:
> Because OLPC is sold to general public using "Buy 2 Get 1" G1G1,

The answers below are unrelated to the fact that it is being sold.

> is it possible to customize OLPC:

XO-1 is the identifier for the hardware, OLPC is the identifier for the
project.

> 1. Disable internal Flash Drive,

No.  But if it did not contain the essential boot components (such as
/boot/olpc.fth) it would be ignored, and so you would have the same net
effect.

> and boot from external USB hard disk

Yes.  The external USB storage would need to have the essential boot
components (such as /boot/olpc.fth).  This is how we load new versions
at the moment.

> / external CD-ROM drive.

Don't know.  A PC boot structure would not work, only the XO specific
boot structure would work.  I've not tested it, and I don't know if
anyone has.

> 2. Boot to console mode (svgalib).

Not sure.  I think not.  Let us know how it goes, we're curious.  The XO
kernel has framebuffer support for the LCD.  Suggest you use that
instead.  Try it in emulation now.

> 3. Install Fedora, Mandriva or other Linux/BSD distro, FreeDOS.

Only if those distributions add support for XO, or if you add the
support yourself.  For example we have a way to install Debian
documented on the Wiki.  As Bernardo has said, minimum capability would
be the Linux kernel patched and built for XO.  The kernel built for
ordinary PC is not appropriate.  Many services provided by a PC BIOS are
not provided by the XO firmware.

> Use TWM / IceWM windows manager.

Yes, that works fine, once the barriers above are overcome.

> Is the above ideas possible?

Yes, with work.  Let us know how you go.  It isn't part of OLPC mission
though, and now is not the time for us to concentrate on it.