Modification of Public OLPC Software

big one bigone at qon.lao.net
Tue Sep 25 01:19:01 EDT 2007

I often use Linux without any X-Windows, but only svgalib: mplayer, links 2.0 browser, mp3blaster, etc. On FreeDOS (Free Disk Operating System), I can use display, arachne, pppd etc.

Because OLPC is sold to general public using "Buy 2 Get 1" G1G1, is it possible to customize OLPC:
1. Disable internal Flash Drive, and boot from external USB hard disk / external CD-ROM drive.
2. Boot to console mode (svgalib).
3. Install Fedora, Mandriva or other Linux/BSD distro, FreeDOS. Use TWM / IceWM windows manager.
Is the above ideas possible?
Thank you.