[Fwd: + maps-pssproportional-set-size-accounting-in-smaps.patch added to -mm tree]

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Sep 24 20:41:37 EDT 2007

On 09/24/2007 05:14 PM, Dan Winship wrote:

> The biggest problem the ring has right now is that it doesn't take into
> account the fact that code pages can be swapped back out to disk to
> create more RAM, and so it needs to count inactive pages differently
> from active pages if we want the free-space wedge in the donut to be an
> accurate estimation of the user's ability to launch another activity.
> AFAIK the PSS kernel patch doesn't help with this.

Considering only active pages would be an unfair estimate of the overall
memory pressure caused by a running activity.  An activity in the
background would seem to use less memory than one in the foreground.
And the usage estimate would change over time without the application
ever allocating more.

--
 \___/
 |___|  Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/