PSS/USS

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Sep 21 18:40:07 EDT 2007

Andrew Morton wrote:

> But otoh the patch at http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/16/306 looks sufficiently
> simple that if people find it to be useful then the world wouldn't end if we
> merged it.
>
> But it is a feature and hence isn't appropriate for 2.6.23.

Yeah, I propose it for mm.

> So.  You _think_ that this feature might be useful to you.  But are you
> sure?  Will it be 100% sufficient for your needs over the next N years?
> Will it tell you everything which you want to know?

Come on, we can't realistically be this much confident about anything
we do, especially when it comes to software (-:

PSS is the honest memory usage figure any user and developer always wanted
to see in the top utility.  Death to RSS and VM!

--
 \__/
 |__|  Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/