The "iGoogle bug"

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Wed Sep 19 12:49:01 EDT 2007

>  - Seeing if we can get the blitter to read source data directly from system
>    memory.  I'd be very surprised if there was no way to make it work
>    with virtual memory enabled, because, without such a mechanism, the
>    blitter would be less than fully useful.

Could somebody shed some light on this, please?

I think that probably the Linux kernel has some page locking function
which returns a list of physical addresses from a virtual address has
not it? The Channel 3 DMA can be programmed to read from any 16MB block
from the 32 bit address space. Why is it hard to combine the two? Why is
it even necessary to upload bitmaps to "video memory"?

I am just interested.

ps:
Note that I am not a Linux kernel developer (however can develop NT
drivers so at least I am not stupid).