radio off guarantee?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Sep 18 14:59:37 EDT 2007

> We see 700 to 800 mW consumed by the mesh interface, and as with most
> WiFi interfaces, receiving consumes as much power as transmitting.

Crazy thought dept...

How long does it take to turn the receiver on?  If all the clocks in a mesh
were synchronized, would it make sense to turn all the receivers off during
idle periods and turn them on for say 100 ms on the second boundary to see if
there was any traffic?  (I'm assuming the transmit side would cooperate.)