radio off guarantee?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Tue Sep 18 11:20:47 EDT 2007

>> Suppose I'm someplace where I don't expect or want to do any mesh
>> networking.
>> How much would turning off the radio help battery life?
>
> Last I checked, the effect was very small.  There will be occasional
> scans as the unit hunts around for nearby radios.  One could save more
> by making those scans back off rather than provide a UI element.

We see 700 to 800 mW consumed by the mesh interface, and as with most
WiFi interfaces, receiving consumes as much power as transmitting.

While it makes sense to turn off the wireless networking interface on
developer
machines, we are hesitant to add this to the UI.  We are really
relying on laptops
to extend the mesh away from the school.

wad