wireless networking

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 10:27:26 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 06:55 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 16:10 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 19:52 +0100, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> > > Thanks, I am now seeing my wireless router on
> > > the machines and can ping other machines connected
> > > to it. Wired internet seems to work (as far as ifconfig
> > > and ping are concerned).
> > >
> > > Two questions:
> > >
> > > 1. How should I set my hostname and fix it to work
> > > with DHCP?
> >
> > The hostname isn't changed by NM because that breaks Xauth and stops you
> > from being able to launch X apps.
>
> I thought this got fixed in X quite a while ago (something like 18
> months ago).  It certainly used to be a PITA.

Certainly not fixed, I just tested it out and it fails miserably.  It is
a PITA.  Somebody who knows X needs to fix Xauth to not rely on
hostnames.

The xauth cookie depends on the hostname of the machine at the time
xinit gets run, so we either need to change our xinit stuff to put
127.0.0.1 there for a hostname, or suck up the fact that changing the
hostname kills the ability to start X apps.

Dan