radio off guarantee?

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Sep 18 01:25:40 EDT 2007

James Cameron wrote:

> By pressing Control/Alt/F2.  The X server /usr/bin/X has file descriptor
> 2 (stderr) anchored to /dev/tty2, per "ls -l /proc/`pgrep X`/fd" ...
> therefore the second text console contains the message, repeating.

This behavior comes from olpc-dm... Actually I don't like it that
much... I preferred $HOME/.xsession-errors.

> Got it.  /proc/`pgrep X`/environ contains XAUTHORITY which points to
> /home/olpc/.Xauthority last changed several days ago, which contains a
> hostname of xo-05-27-F1.localdomain, but the current /bin/hostname
> output is "localhost.localdomain" ... so I conjecture that removing the
> wireless kernel driver results in the hostname not being the same as
> what it was before.

Ah, good catch!

But it's suspicious that .Xauthority is that old, because a fresh one
should be created each time X starts.  Is the hwclock set correctly?

In latest builds, the cookies moved to ~/.serverauth.$$.

I dunno why we put the PID there.  It litters the home directory.
Auth cookies are unique per-display, so ".xserverauth.$DISPLAY"
would have been a better name.

--
   //  Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/ One Laptop Per Child - http://www.laptop.org/