wireless networking

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Thu Sep 13 10:22:58 EDT 2007

Hi Victor,

Can you tell me what version of code is on the machine? I suspect it is 542,
but it would be good to check that first. Are these US-English language
laptops?

If you just turn on 2 laptops without a school server, they should come up
talking to each other, but we have found that if there are a number of other
access points in the area, there may be some delays. The 542 code would scan
all channels 1-13 to look for a school server or other XOs and we found
sometimes this took a very long time (>10minutes) and once in a while they
ended up on different channels.

If there was no other RF, it might still take 10 minutes if you started them
up at about the same time. If you start up one unit; wait a few minutes,
then start up the other, you might have better luck.

More importantly, if you are willing to use a development build, then please
upgrade to 575, which has many improvements in the network scanning and
connectivity. If you want to wait until it is finished getting bug fixes and
testing, then the next official release, Trial-3 SW, should be available at
the end of the month.

Here is the page to review for upgrading -- please read it carefully as it
isn't a simple one-step process (we're trying to get there!):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation

Kim