save-nand problem

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Sep 11 03:35:55 EDT 2007

Kim Quirk wrote:
> Hi Juliano,
> I just went through this process myself last night.
>
> The first time I did a save-nand it took many minutes. Unfortunately I
> had to do it again since I missed a few things. The second time it
> took many hours. It did complete (which surprised me).

I tried it a couple of times.  On a system with a nearly-pristine NAND
image (200+ MB), the process took about 16 minutes.  I tried it twice
and go similar results both times.  The USB device is a Verbatim 1 GB
USB 2.0 FLASH key.  Prior to the test, I recreated the partition map by
using fdisk to delete the existing partition and to create a new on of
type 0x0c (FAT 32) of maximum size.  Then I inserted the key into a
Windows XP system and formatted it as FAT32.

I was using q2c26x, which is my latest experimental firmware.  I don't
it has any differences from q2c23 that would affect save-nand.

If your USB disk were being detected as USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0, that
would cause extreme slowness.