Marvell

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Sep 10 21:04:42 EDT 2007

Rob Savoye wrote:

>> As I understand it, the microkernel for the Marvell wireless chipset is the
>> only remaining proprietary software on the Laptop, and although we want to
>> get rid of it, nothing is happening. http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/46
>
>   There had been some discussion using eCOS to replace their existing
> RTOS. eCOS is very stable, small, and supports tcp/ip. I don't believe
> anyone has started on this though.

But the problem is not at all there: even writing a minimal RTOS
from scratch would be just a few weeks of work for most kernel
hackers.

Implementing the whole 802.11 protocol stack and doing that without any
documentation of the MAC hardware and maybe with no access to fancy RF
equipment for testing the output...

...*that* would be no fun!  Or maybe a lot of fun, depending on
how much you like challenges!

When we've got this part figured out and notice we could use a couple
of threads to get the work done here and there, then we can add a
random RTOS.

I'd also throw in my personal favorite:
  http://www.ethernut.de/en/software.html

Or my personal homebrew one: