Changing Name of Alsamixer controls 'Analog Input' and 'V_REFOUT'

Jaya Kumar jayakumar.lkml at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 01:02:01 EDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Arjun Sarwal <arjun at laptop.org> wrote:
> Jaya,
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> The changes that I have proposed seem OLPC specific to me.

Oh, ok. I assumed you were going to change the AD1888 AC97 mixer
control names in sound/pci/ac97/... Those are not OLPC specific at the
moment.

> However there is another change that we are thinking about, which I think
> will be a generic change and I will post on the alsa-devel list.

Cool, it'd be a good idea to propose the change to alsa-devel since
that's where the AD1888 users are.

> The other change that we are thinking about is to remove the 'High Pass
> Filter Enable' control from Alsamixer and internally coupling its
> functionality  to the state of 'Analog Input'. HPF is enabled when
> AnalogInput is disabled and vice versa.
>
> The idea behind this is that we can't forsee any situation when the user
> would want to toggle HPF without toggling AnalogInput.

Sounds interesting. One thing to keep in mind is that the AC97 driver
is intended to be codec specific rather than board specific. It
doesn't and probably should not know about OLPC's non-RC trace.
cs5535audio on the other hand already has OLPC specific and OLPC board
revision specific code for the analog switch to the non-RC trace. Also
keep in mind that HPF is a general control and there are mic1, mic2 on
the AD1888 chip so some boards may have mic2 on a non-RC trace for
example.

I can understand wanting to decouple analog input kcontrol (which
currently pokes both HPF and VREF) but removing HPF as a separate
kcontrol may not be appropriate for all boards.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
jaya