headtracker / mag lens / macro lens (linaccess at yokoy.de)

Luke Hutchison luke.hutch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:57:54 EDT 2007

PS there's a "cheap" way you can accomplish subpixel accuracy, as follows.
You basically take a bunch of 1D samples through the brightest pixel,
looking at 2 neighbors in each direction, and then take a weighted sum of
the results.  This calls the code I pasted in the last email.  It's not
going to be as good as paraboloid regression, but it should allow you to
test feasibility.

// Do a 2D parabolic fit to give sub-pixel accuracy for translational
// registration, by performing four 1D parabolic fits through the closest
// integer correlation offset: horizontally, vertically, and on the leading
// and trailing diagonals.  Take the weighted centroid of all four to get
// the true correlation offset.

// off_x and off_y are the one-pixel-accurate correlation offsets recovered
// by correlation.

// x1d and y1d are x and y values for the 1D quadratic fit function
double y1d[9] = {     // Get magnitudes at (off_x,off_y) and 8 neighbors
  dft_mag(dft, off_x - 1, off_y - 1),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x    , off_y - 1),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x + 1, off_y - 1),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x - 1, off_y    ),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x    , off_y    ),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x + 1, off_y    ),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x - 1, off_y + 1),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x    , off_y + 1),
  dft_mag(dft, off_x + 1, off_y + 1)
}

// Sum contributions to centroid of each quadratic fit
double x1d_tot = 0.0, y1d_tot = 0.0, x1d;

// Parabolic fit in horiz direction through correlation maximum
x1d = parabolic_fit(-1, y1d[3], 0, y1d[4], 1, y1d[5]);
x1d_tot += x1d;

// Parabolic fit in horiz direction through correlation maximum
x1d = parabolic_fit(-1, y1d[1], 0, y1d[4], 1, y1d[7]);
y1d_tot += x1d;   // [x1d is x in parabola space, but y in correlation
space]

// Weight contributions of diagonal by the inverse of their distance
#define RT2_OV_2  0.7071067811865475244   // sqrt(2)/2  (= 1/sqrt(2))

// Parabolic fit in leading diagonal direction through correlation maximum
x1d = parabolic_fit(-1, y1d[0], 0, y1d[4], 1, y1d[8]);
x1d_tot += x1d * RT2_OV_2;
y1d_tot += x1d * RT2_OV_2;

// Parabolic fit in leading diagonal direction through correlation maximum
x1d = parabolic_fit(-1, y1d[2], 0, y1d[4], 1, y1d[6]);
x1d_tot -= x1d * RT2_OV_2;
y1d_tot += x1d * RT2_OV_2;

// Take centroid of all parabolic fits, weighting diagonals by RT2_OV_2;
// make relative to correlation coords by adding off_x, off_y
double subpix_off_x = off_x + x1d_tot / (2.0 + 2.0 * RT2_OV_2);
double subpix_off_y = off_y + y1d_tot / (2.0 + 2.0 * RT2_OV_2);