Pippy and Calculate

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Tue Sep 4 23:44:46 EDT 2007

I agree. This would provide a good use case for Pippy, something directly
useful which would get kids involved. It would be great if some simple
programming like::

  for x in range(0,5,.1):
     y = x ^^ 2
     plot(x,y)

... would work without needing 'import plotter', then it would be a graphing
calculator too. Of course, as soon as you ran the above plot, you'd need to
follow up with::

 plotter.auto_rescale()

(That is, the invisible "from plotter import *" would include::
  Class Plotter
      def plot(self,x,y):
          self.show()
  plotter = Plotter() #Make a default plotter
  plot = plotter.plot #Make a shortcut so that a beginner can type plot
instead of plotter.plot
)

... As to the volunteer-power, I agree that it needs help, but that's a
separate issue.

The one place Calculator is clearly better than Pippy is as a nice simple
Sugar example app, we can let it be nothing but that (not in the default
build, but available and easily installable if anyone wants it).

my-two-cents-worth-ly y'rs,
Jameson