profiling the resume path

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Sep 2 07:50:03 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 04:10 -0400, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Note: ohci_pci_resume does msleep 20.

Hm. It's just waiting for the hardware to settle, right? Do the resume
functions for the devices themselves actually have to wait until this is
complete, before they can do anything?

It really sounds like we need to decouple suspend/resume of individual
hardware devices from the full system suspend. It should be almost
completely asynchronous. Why can't I start running userspace after
resume, before I've reinitialised the USB thermometer which is plugged
in? Why don't we just block access to that particular device until it's
complete (and take that device off-line to save power even when the full
system isn't suspended).

--
dwmw2