Activity bundle Query

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 29 04:43:28 EDT 2007

Depends on your targeted Sugar version, which are not compatible with
each other.

In the "old days", that is, the software that is going to be put into
mass production, a.k.a. build 622, you had to execute an activity
factory that would then run instances of your activity. This is
obsolete and not documented anywhere anymore (despite this being
called a "stable release"). In the current Sugar, a.k.a. "Joyride",
which will evolve into the 1.0 version of the XO operating system,
you do not need that anymore, but must put your script into the bin/
directory of your activity.

This is documented at

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API

(actually that page also describes the old regime which still had the
factory, go back to the version of Oct. 7th)

I hope you can access DBus and set X window properties from Java,
otherwise you cannot build a proper activity. But since you need to
include a Java VM anyway in your bundle, you could patch it to do the
right thing I guess.

If you are very careful you may even be able to devise a bundle that
works in old and new Sugar, I believe Etoys currently manages to do
that (look into Etoys-63.xo). Depending on what further grand changes
occur before 1.0 this will continue to work.

Also note that 1.0 is officially not called 1.0 anymore but instead
FRS, First Deployment, XM, Killjoy, take your pick. I just could not
make up my mind yet which of these designations I dislike the least.

- Bert -