Music on the XO

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird at hivemind.net
Sun Oct 28 14:00:34 EDT 2007

Jean Piché wrote:

> Hello Antoine,
>
> Like I outlined in my previous response to SJ, I am not so worried about
> cultural dominance/imperialism. People are too aware for this to happen
> as a matter of course.  I am concerned with quality. Quality measured
> locally.

My apologies - this immediately became clear from your reply to SJ.

>  If there is condescension to be had, it will be local. Cultural
> condescension is complicated. It is not a east-west thing. It happens in
> every society:  consider older kids commenting on younger kid's musical
> tastes. Culture, by definition, is built on the rarification of talent
> and expression. As you grow more sophisticated, you understand more. The
> examplar in any culture is what has value. Not the common denominator.

In another lifetime I earned my supper playing my guitar so I cannot but
help agree with you!

If I may summarize, what you are saying is that:

a) Given that this is about education, OLPC should be taking the
cultural high road in terms of bundled music.

b) The perception that acceptable licensing terms will be difficult to
impossible to obtain should not get in the way of a)

?

  - a