Music on the XO

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird at hivemind.net
Sun Oct 28 06:32:11 EDT 2007

Jean Piché wrote:
> I am perhaps not in a position to be an arbitrer any more than the
> undoutedly generous and sharp young minds at Jamendo but I suggest
> OLPC thread VERY carefully here. Even when there is quality, I am not
> certain what to think of Nigerian children being fed a diet of DJ
> Spooky, no matter how much I personally enjoy his work...

Dear Jean,

Also being a member of the so-called 'dominator culture' I can
appreciate where these concerns are coming from as there is much
ill-will between people of all countries - rich&poor - regarding things
that have happened in the past and fears of what might still happen in
the future.

I would however like to comment that it is at our peril that we tread on
egg shells or - even worse - be _perceived_ as treading on egg shells as
there is only one sin which is considered more vile than cultural
imperialism and that is the sin of cultural condescension!!!

:-D

I'd like to quote an email I received this morning from Ron Wertlen, one
of the folk involved with grassroots olpc here in South Africa, written
on his return from a TV shoot for Swiss national television.

While reading it, please bear in mind that the area they visited is one
of the poorest and most remote of any district in South Africa. (or
Africa for that matter!)

Ron wrote:
> the shoot went very well! The main thing is we got on well, the kids
> had a great time (unfortunately only 20 out of 722). And the
> highlight was how surprised Cristina was by the kids - they danced
> for us after the shoot and there was some modern and ballroom dancing
> there complete with costumes. We decided that would be great as a
> final scene, to show that there should be no fear of "cultural
> imperialism" via the digital content. The people are seeking new
> inputs for growth wherever they can and OLPC can definitely make a
> big difference.
>
> We overnighted at Bulungula, which is very scenic and it really
> requires 4x4 driving, which they promptly also filmed to get a good
> feel of the Wild Coast. After that there was a short interview in the
> car and then we filmed at the school. 722 kids, 18 educators and I
> think about 8 classrooms. They have to have classes out of doors.
> Because of a roaring wind, the interviewing was done in one of the
> two good classrooms (which also has a principal's corner). that's
> also where the kids used the computers. I let them play with block
> the most. They really enjoyed that. Then I switched on the video
> camera on one, and they figured it out themselves on the other one.
> These were fairly young kids Gr. 5.

  - a