ip4-address buddy property - still needed?

Giannis Galanis galanis at laptop.org
Fri Oct 26 00:20:01 EDT 2007

The feature, although not usable by the activities, it has other benefits.

By observing the buddy list, you acquire instant information of the network
connection go the users:
when connected to channel 1 for example:
169.254.x.x address are in link-local
172.18.x.x are connected to schoolserver

when connected to a jabber server:
169.254.x.x are connected through an MPP
18x.x.x are media lab
172.18.x.x are connected to schoolserver in olpc
etc

It is information continuously used in network testing, also useful from the
users prespective:
1. in the case of connecting to multiple jabber servers, the user should be
able to tell which XO in the neighbout view belongs to the same school
2. get the geopraphical location of another user

In future versions of the neighbor view, or through other activities, the
user should be able to filter for specific XOs according to location, or
school(in the case he's connected to many servers). Two children in the same
school should be able to recognize each other even if they are connected
through a jabber server, other then the one in the school.

It can also be useful for locating an XO in case of theft.

I have also added a ticket(4405) for adding the public id in the buddy list
properties.

It is a small part of data(both IPs, private and public), which can be
harmfully incorporated in the telepathy services.

Please let me know if you agree,

yani