X won't come up on C2

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Oct 24 10:19:01 EDT 2007

> If it's Trial3, try this:
>
>   umount /home/olpc/.Xauthority
>
> Nobody I asked really understood why, but it fixes a lot of
> strange "X not starting" problems people reported to me by
> random people.

The reason why it fixes things is that there are many file-system
operations that plain fail when that path being moved, for example, has
something else bind-mounted to it.

To the best of my knowledge, the consequence in this case is that some
program is trying to write to /home/olpc/.Xauthority and failing because
of the bind-mount. This causes X to reject Sugar's connection attempts
(hence the AUDIT messages) and results in an infinite
init-restarts-X-which-dies loop.

Michael