[design] Lack of built-in serial and // port ?

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Oct 23 18:57:16 EDT 2007

Ian Daniher wrote:
> Samir,
> IIRC, there *is* a serial port, but due to constraints I have not been
> made aware of, It isn't exposed, instead it is buried inside the case.
One primary constraint is that there is absolutely no room left for
other connectors to come out.

Yes, I know there are places where it looks like it might be possible,
but there are non-obvious constraints having to do with board layout and
mechanical design and securing against dust and water.

Another answer is that, while it might seem that obsolete technology is
cheap because you can get it used, very often the real cost is very high
because it breaks down, can't be repaired, consumables (ink, etc) aren't
available, etc.  The support cost for random collections of old stuff
can be enormous.