Calibration of Software/Measure activity

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Sun Oct 21 18:07:38 EDT 2007

Ceramic resonators are less expensive than crystals.  Their stability
and accuracy is not as good as crystals, but is much better than RC
oscillators.

The waveform that comes from most oscillators is nominally a square
wave, but when the frequency gets into the tens of megahertz range, it
usually doesn't look particularly square on an oscilloscope.

In order of cost, from highest to lowest, the usual timing alternatives are:

a) Self-contained crystal oscillator
b) Built-in oscillator circuit stabilized with a crystal
c) Built-in oscillator circuit stabilized with a ceramic resonator
d) Built-in oscillator circuit timed with RC components.