Supertux!

Ian Daniher it.daniher at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 16:50:21 EDT 2007

As you may know, Supertux is a 2d run and jump game, written in C(?), with
an rpm that (mostly) works on the xo. The rpm is located
here<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/supertux-0.1.3-5.fc6.i386.rpm>.
It requires these<http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Building_SuperTux#Prerequisites>dependencies
to build it. With minor remapping, it works with the xo's
rocker pad and gamepad buttons.
I was wondering if someone wanted to create a .xo activity file and
fine-tune the already mostly functional supertux code for the use of the
G1G1 folks. This would add an activity purely focused at entertainment, not
just education.

So far, the steps I've done on my xo:

   - wget
   http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/supertux-0.1.3-5.fc6.i386.rpm
   - rpm -ivh supertux-0.1.3-5.fc6.i386.rpm
   - Rotate the screen *before* you start supertux from the dev console
   - Remap the keys via "Options"

Things to do:

   - Package supertux and dependencies in a .xo format
   - fix the graphics problems, namely the large black border around the
   game display(reducing the resolution to 480x640?)
   - fix the opengl rendering problems(found when using v 0.3)
   - create wikipage
   - establish relationship with supertux core developers

I'm not a software person, nor a programmer, so help would be appreciated.
The biggest impetus for me to do this is how much my younger relatives would
enjoy supertux on the xo!
--
Ian Daniher
it.daniher at gmail.com