Could we get a feasibility assessment on this from hardware/production?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Oct 18 15:08:47 EDT 2007

We've been having a long-ish thread over on security regarding a
possibility mitigation strategy for black/grey-market resale of
educational laptops while selling laptops in G1G1 or similar
approaches.  The proposed mechanism is as follows:

    * For the G1G1 (or other non-educational/government purchased) runs,
      alter the configuration file which controls the colours to be
      applied to the laptop lids, so that the X-O symbol on the lid of
      all personally-purchased laptops will be a single distinctive
      colour (suggest white, to increase difficulty in painting over the
      symbol, but any distinctive colour would be fine)

the thread on the security list is long and goes into a lot of details,
but we don't yet have feedback from those on the physical manufacturing
side as to whether we can make this change at all, and whether it would
be disruptive to the runs.

With thanks,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher