Providing a Text to Speech synthesis option in the sugar environment

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:16:07 EDT 2007

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the inputs. We researched about DBUS and X11 Primary Selection
and Clipboard services.

>From what we have figured:

   1. Select the text for speech synthesis within any activity that is
   running inside the sugar environment.
   2. Trigger the play event in sugar which invokes a python script lets
   say speakit.py This script will pick the primary selection that has
   been made in any activity running inside the sugar environment.
   3. The script will finally run espeak by firing "espeak
   --stdout"<String>" | gst-launch fdsrc fd=0 ! wavparse ! alsasink

Would you advise us to use the clipboard or the primary selection feature?
We were thinking of using clipboardservice.py since it has already been
written in sugar.

Has primary selection been implemented within sugar?

I think it would be nice to provide a DBus interface to the service.
> That way any activity could easily use it...

So to summarize I suppose sugar will be using the dbus interface to pull the
data from any activity and pipe it to espeak correct?

thanks
--
Hemant