Devel Digest, Vol 20, Issue 22

Micheal Cooper cooper.me at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:02:17 EDT 2007

> From: "Steve Fullerton" <fullerton.steve at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: slightly long and detailed proposal for
>         documentation-translation       workflow

> I fully appreciate the detail.  However, IMHO I think that there is some
> re-thinking required re: the traditional "user" documentation.  The core  of
> The highly intuitive design of Sugar and the experience of the pilots bears
> this out.  The children seem to do just great without manuals,  discovery is
> enhanced, and many of the constructionist ideals are realized.
>
> What do you think?

I seem to have been working under a misconception. I thought that the
manuals were mainly intended for teachers and local educators who
might be trained to do some low-level support. The language should be
comprehensible by younger children because the manual will be the
teacher's main reference, and we can assume that the manual language
will find its way into the teacher-speak.

Docs are definitely necessary for educators, since they will not have
time to "discover," and since they are responsible for getting the
children going with XO.

Don't you agree?