slightly long and detailed proposal for documentation-translation workflow

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:16:35 EDT 2007

I have been struggling with my literary agent and trying to knock someone
over the head with a wet noodle into realizing that there *will* be a market
for a book, and trying to suggest going with an e-book, with editorial
support from a publisher, put it on amazon, develop the whole thing in a
robust authoring cms so updates and multilingual versions can be easily
made. one publisher responded with fear, blah blah blah, and I made an
attempt to provide rationales (including insights from Wikinomics, which has
helped me to be able to articulate some of the value propositions), but I'm
2 degrees away from throwing in the towel, and inviting whoever wants to
join me in making a multimodal community book. then maybe when the
publishers wake up they could license it and use their distribution channels
to put it in stores.

I don't know if the publishers realize how cool the little green xo is as a
way for people to get acquainted with Linux.

Ok I'm throwing in the towel. We could call it the Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Laptop. I don't care what the title is. The community could name it, write
it. If anyone is interested in helping learners who desire a book to get
acquainted with the very wonderful work you are doing, please feel free to
get in touch.

Maybe the proceeds from the book could go towards a series of laptop
libraries where the laptops could be checked out by kids.

I guess in the same time it took to write this email I could have written a
wiki page.

--
Todd Kelsey
630.808.6444